Sunday 8 May 2011

Char Kuay and Chicken Rice

Another random Saturday I had this week.

Just my normal routines. Woke up at 8, took a shower, ate my breakfast and then head for tuition. Class was okay, my teacher's back from the US so I kinda back to my 'old-self' in the class. Cracking up random jokes and I actually learned new things about sharks. Me and my tuition-mates watched Jaws and it was actually my first time watching it. It was so intense that I almost dug my own nails into my palms, especially the part when the main character was about to shot the shark. Well nonetheless the movie was damn sadistic. I couldn't stand watching a little boy being eatan up by a shark.

Later in the afternoon I asked the two Jakarta dudes to come to Chua Chu Kang. Yeah they actually travelled all the way from Somerset to where I live. We head to this hawker centre in Teck Whye to get some good halal and cheap Chinese cuisine.






Located right one stop away from Pioneer Junior College, you can enjoy couple of decent and halal Chinese foods for only $3 - $10. The place wasn't as big as what I expected. I'm not really the type of person to eat in Hawker Centres (this is actually the third time for me to eat hawker foods) so at first I though it'll be as big as the ones in Holland Village. There's like only 5 or 6 stalls there. Seafood stall, chicken rice, yong tau foo, rojak, etc.







My schoolmate recommended me to try their chicken rice. I asked for more soysauce and it was good. Well maybe not as good as the ones in those fine dining restaurant but this was good enough for me. Too bad the portion was a bit to small. I felt like ordering another plate but at the same time I'm scared I wont be able to finish it.

For 'dessert', I tried the "Char Kuay" from the Rojak stall. Its like 'cakwe' but they put 'bumbu kacang' on top. The unique part is that they actually fried the 'cakwe' again before they pour the sauce on top. It tasted funny... Something like 'pecel' or 'gado-gado' but the 'cakwe' version of it. I can't find the perfect words to explain it but this is definitely a must for tourists who are interested in absurd foods.

Although all of the food that we tried was probably only around the 'okay' range, it still satisfied my stomach (and my wallet too).


No comments:

Post a Comment